The Other Realm (Matthew 4:12-25)
David Peterson / General
Sermon type: Textual-Topical
Proposition: The rule of God comes as we are brought into God’s realm, i.e., heaven. This realm of the Spirit is connected to the changing/renewing of the mind which causes us to act and feel like Christ.
1. The future has drawn near—Chat GPT
2. The fullness is yet to come, only a speck of what it will be.
I. Heaven—The Realm of God (Matt. 4:17)
1. Heaven in Matthew’s gospel.
2. The realm of spirit. God is a spirit, “the Eternal Spirit”
A list of things we believe in but cannot see:
1. The place of perfection, being in complete alignment with God’s will. The immediate presence of God.
2. We are the creature that can enter into heavenly reality.
II. The Whole of Life—The Scope of God’s Realm (Matt. 4:20, 22, 23-24)
1. Jesus is the realm of God come near and made accessible.
2. He must reign in our lives like know other King can reign. He must reign in the heart and mind (see Geikie quote).
3. We are shaped by ideas/beliefs, which lead to attitudes and affections, which issue forth in actions. see The Consequences of Ideas by R.C. Sproul
III. Repentance (and faith)—The Way into That Realm (Matt. 4:17)
1. A change of direction/orientation, literally change of mind (metanoia)
2. What you trust is what you focus on and follow—Jesus is the concrete point of reference (“our chief prophet and teacher” and the one to rule us, “our eternal King”, Heidelberg Catechism) He is the light.
SOURCE: R. B. Kuiper, God-Centred Evangelism (Banner of Truth, 1966), 153.
3. Biblical steps for renewing the mind after the likeness of Christ